Re: How can i enable webmode?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: How can i enable webmode?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 14:03:25 +0200

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 01:55:22PM +0200, H. Dieter Wilhelm wrote:

[...]

> Why would I download a package if I do not want to activate an
> advertised feature?  So this uncommon way can save unnecessary hassle, I
> hope.

Sometimes (actually, webmode is a nice example) you as a user
want to decide on a case-by-case basis which is the one you
want to activate on a HTML file. Perhaps via a file variable?
Perhaps manually? The installer just doesn't know.

Perhaps you don't want Emacs to decide at all based on the
file name, but on contents (I, for one, have this tendency).
Then you'd be miffed that Emacs, all of a sudden, uses some
mode on files named *.html.

Mode decisions are far too "interesting" for a simple installer
to take decisions for you :)

Cheers
-- tomás