Re: How can i enable webmode?

From: Dan Sommers
Subject: Re: How can i enable webmode?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 10:01:49 -0400

On Mon, 11 May 2020 14:03:44 +0200
dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) wrote:

> Inform is creating links (clickable buttons) from functions and
> variable names in *info* buffers to their inbuilt *Help*
> documentation.  (The small code base is loaded with a ;;;###autoload
> instruction.)
>
> After uninstalling (and restarting Emacs) the code is completely
> removed.

Then Inform is one of the good ones.  :-)

It's not so bad with Emacs packages (likely due to the guidelines Drew
Adams quoted), but too much software leaves little reminders of itself
behind, like random files under $HOME (or worse, random changes to files
under $HOME).

> Thinking about it, do you know if it is possible for a running
> GNU-Emacs to erase its memory or part of it or same everything with a
> name prefix?

I don't know.  I suppose it would be possible to call makunbound and
fmakunbound on some set of symbols and then to run a complete garbage
collection, but that doesn't necessarily erase or overwrite any
particular memory, and it may leave other things in a weird state.  For
me, it's much easier to restart.

> When I'm installing most browser add-ons they are immediately active

This is true.  OTOH, browsing the web is more passive than editing
files.

> ... The same goes for OS package managers when I'm doing
>
>    $ sudo aptitude install sshd
>
> the server is immediately started and this is how it should work.

That's potentially dangerous, especially for sshd, depending on the
default configuration and what's on the machine.  Just sayin.  Not all
software is created equal.  Not all users are created equal, either.