Re: Japanese font settings ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Japanese font settings ?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 23:36:00 +0900

> On May 23, 2020, at 21:15, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
>> Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 16:38:00 +0900
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>>
>> All in all, after too many hours wasted on this issue, I'm left with a
>> solution that's exactly equivalent to finding a code snippet found on the
>> web and I've not come any closer to a better understanding of how all that
>> works.
>>
>> What the emacs manual should have is:
>>
>> 1) a link to the elisp manual for set-fontset-font
>> 2) the reference to list-character-sets and to script-representative-chars
>> 3) an example that applies set-fontset-font to a list of scripts
>> 3) a way to *find* a range of character: do we use list-character-sets,
>> click on a given character set and from there ? Is there a better way ?
>
> Thanks, I used this and other information you posted to improve that
> part of the manual.

Eli,

Thank you *very much* for this update. And I apologize for having been upset.

=====
(For convenience, the ‘han’ script in Emacs is set up to support all of the
Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, a.k.a. CJK, characters, not just Chinese
characters.)
=====

Does that mean that as far as emacs is concerned han also covers hiragana,
katakana, bopomofo and various CJK symbols ? If that's the case, why did my
first attempt when I specified 'han produced non-satisfactory results (the font
applied to the Chinese characters by not to the kanas) but when I specified a
given Japanese character set with the same font I got the expected result ?

Jean-Christophe Helary