Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 13:03:52 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
>> Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 10:48:34 -0700
>>
>> I've battled with this for years now: Hunspell marks any contraction
>> with an apostrophe (eg the "I've" that starts this sentence) as
>> misspelled.
>
> Which apostrophe are you talking about: the ASCII one as in "I've", or
> the non-ASCII one as in "I’ve"?  (The latter is not an "apostrophe",
> to be exact, that character has a different name.)

I'm talking about the ASCII apostrophe, 0x27. But I get the same result
with RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (0x2019). My understanding is that the
ICONV line should unify the two.

I realize that this is really an OS question, not an Emacs question, and
I appreciate you looking into it. Other hunspell consumers (Libreoffice,
Firefox) don't have this problem, though, so it might be something Emacs
wants to be aware of.

Thanks!
Eric