Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 05:25:29 +0300

> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
> Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 13:03:52 -0700
>
> > Which apostrophe are you talking about: the ASCII one as in "I've", or
> > the non-ASCII one as in "I’ve"?  (The latter is not an "apostrophe",
> > to be exact, that character has a different name.)
>
> I'm talking about the ASCII apostrophe, 0x27.

Then I cannot reproduce this, it works for me, ispell.el (using
Hunspell as the speller) says "I'VE is correct".  I guess your
dictionary has a problem or something.  Or maybe you set up
spell-checking incorrectly (try in "emacs -Q").  There should be no
need to use ICONV at all.

> Other hunspell consumers (Libreoffice, Firefox) don't have this
> problem, though, so it might be something Emacs wants to be aware
> of.

I see no problem in Emacs using Hunspell.