Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 13:51:06 +0200

tomas wrote:

> "time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like
> banana"
> (1) Translate this phrase into Swedish

That's impossible in a meaningful way if all that is
to be included as here time PASSES BY (går), it
doesn't fly. So maybe "Tiden springer iväg som
långdistanslöpare", as time can here can also "run
away"...

Obviously, every single expressions can't be
translated and still have every word translated to
its exact translation!

Emacs can't do that, CATs can't, no one can in a way
that makes sense.

Here, we care about what CAT _can_ do. Keep a list of
LOTR characters in a text file, send it by mail to
fellow translators in ~/.mailrc, and expand abbrevs
and snippet templates Emacs can already do, sorry.

> (2a) How would you characterize the context of the
>      first 'like' above? Of the second one?

That's right, because I didn't know translating
fiction, non-fiction, and manuals involved solving
linguistic-logical puzzles from Chomsky's "Best Of"
multimedia CD-ROM...

Try this:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context-sensitive_language

--