Re: toc on one side, contents on the other ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: toc on one side, contents on the other ?
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 13:25:39 +0900

> On Jun 7, 2020, at 5:34, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
> Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>>> I'm trying to keep an org file TOC in one window and send narrowed buffers
>>> another window, but I can't seem to find how to do that with vanilla
>>> org/emacs.
>>
>> Maybe `narrow-indirect.el' will help - dunno.
>>
>> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NarrowIndirect
>>
>> You may also need to fiddle with `display-buffer-alist'
>> or whatever, to get buffers shown where you want them - dunno.
>
> Or the org-toc package seems to do this, or almost this. I don't know
> if it counts as "vanilla", but it's part of the org-plus-contrib
> package.

Thank you. I tried it. It was basically what I was looking for.

But, (rant) I just don't like the liberties developers take with the windows
layout, which may be based *in part* on the emacs infrastructure.

The way windows popup randomly all over the place and the original layout is
never restored is a major annoyance in emacs and this package is no exception.

> It doesn't seem to do a narrowing thing by default, but I'll bet it
> wouldn't be hard to add.

But it refers to the correct header, so that's good enough.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com