Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 21:34:54 +0900

> On Jun 8, 2020, at 21:15, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
> editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> One thing tho, M. Helary said something about the
>> chopping up of the input into segments, my
>> intuition tells me they are shorter (the input more
>> segmentized) than what you get with
>> `forward-sentence' and `backward-sentence'. (My
>> intuition also tells me backward-sentence is
>> (forward-sentence -1) ...)
>>
>> Maybe `sentence-end' already has been configured
>> somewhere to get the most restrictive definition,
>> i.e., here, with the purpose of getting the
>> shortest possible segments that still make sense...
>
> Unless... unless the DB is really fined
> tuned already. Then we should do our own segmentation
> rules, we should get the exact same as they (OmegaT
> or whoever has it) uses...

CAT segmentation rules are defined by the SRX standard. They are basically a
set of cascading regex rules (break/don't break).

It is possible to fine-tune a translation by modifying a rule set before or
during the translation.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com