Compiling a recursive macro

From: Douglas Lewan
Subject: Compiling a recursive macro
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 16:15:05 -0400

I'm not an expert on macros whatsoever. I apologize if this is idiotic.

I've been doing battle trying to define a recursive macro, and I'd like it to be byte compiled. However, in the info (elisp) Compiling Macros, I find the following:

       In order for compilation of macro calls to work, the macros must
   already be defined in Lisp when the calls to them are compiled.

That suggests to me that you can't compile any recursive macro. Do I understand it correctly? If I do, then I'm curious if there's a common style for getting around this.

Thanks.

--
,Doug
d.lewan2000@gmail.com

If this is what winning looks like, I'd hate to see what losing is.