Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 09:45:38 +0200

Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org> writes:

>>> That's not correct.  On my laptop, I can easily edit a 100 (one hundred) MB
>>> text file, Emacs is almost as reactive as with a 1 KB text file.  Of course
>>> some operations take more time, e.g. a query-replace-regexp on the whole
>>> buffer, but from what I see (on my laptop it takes about four seconds, with
>>> regexp) I doubt that it takes more time than hundred query-replace-regexp in
>>> a 1 MB file, or for that matter than doing this with dired on hundred 1 MB
>>> files.
>>>
>> I think it depends on content in those files as well as of size.
>>
>> Try to edit some of those two files: https://github.com/amno1/Plato ,
>> possibly
>> Plato.org. Don't just display them, but try to actually put some text note in
>> it or add/remove some whitespace or whatever. Jump to some paragraph and
>> insert a new line and see how long it takes. Then try to do same in Atom text
>> editor.
>>
>> My Emacs takes quite some time even to add a white space char while Atom has
>> not problems whatsoever. I run on 6700K i7 cpu + 32 gig 3000Mhz ram.
>>
>> I don't know what the problem is, if it is just my Emacs config or actually
>> underlaying data structure (Gap buffer vs linked structure optimized for
>> changes - their "Superstring").
>>

> These files work flawlessly on my laptop (under Org-mode), which has half the
> memory of your computer.  So this has nothing to do with Emacs per se. I don't
> know what the problem on your computer is.  I'd suggest to try to open these
> files by opening with emacs -q.  Then try to find what causes the problem in
> your .emacs file.
>
> Anyway, all this has nothing to do with the proposed feature.  The fact that
> it
> will not work under some circumstances is obvious and is not a problem.  Of
> course every feature has a limit, I mean, even opening files does not work
> anymore above some limit.
>
> Gregory
I know I can run with -Q option, but then I don't have some nice org
features I like to have :-). The point is when you open different files
with different major modes, start to do stuff etc it might be very heavy
maybe unusuable.

Wonder how fast it would work with emacs src directory by opening all .h
anc .c files, some of which are 5k+ lines of code. If that is the case
for refactorisation and similar.

But sure it could be usefull feature in some cases.