Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 08:26:46 +0000

For example, suppose you write a book, which has fifteen chapters in files chap1.tex, ..., chap15.tex. Opening these files in a single buffer means that you could use isearch-{forward,backward} in the whole book.

I don't know of any package which does that. But I think it should not be too hard to implement something that handles this particular use case.

For files that use different major modes, it'd be more problematic, of course.

It's not just that particular use case that I have in mind. As I wrote earlier, the feature I have in mind should not be an additional (minor or major) mode, but a core feature, adding the possibility for Emacs users to open multiple files in a single buffer, in a way that would be as transparent as possible to everything else. Or, in other words, to work on a list of buffers as if it were a single buffer. Otherwise it would indeed be necessary to reimplement many (possibly all) commands, and other problem would have to be resolved, with a result that would likely be too inefficient.

My question was: Is this feasible, or is the one-to-one correspondence between buffers and files too deeply rooted in Emacs' codebase that it is not feasible? If it is feasible, could this feature be considered for implementation in a future Emacs version?

Gregory