Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 12:58:47 +0200

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 09:52:52AM +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

> >>It's not just that particular use case that I have in mind.  As
> >>I wrote earlier, the feature I have in mind should not be an
> >>additional (minor or major) mode, but a core feature [...]
> >
> >I'd recommend to aim lower at first [...]

> I understand your viewpoint.  I'm proposing something, I'm not
> ordering anything.  It just happens that this idea cannot be
> implemented with a mode or a package, like proportional fonts for
> example.

Hm. To be proven :-)

>           Making this possible would not change anything for users
> who would not want to use it.

Likewise. Emacs is a complex beast, but for a reason: it reflects
a wildly diverse community, which came together over many years
and use it in staggeringly different ways. Changing something in
core will almost surely have consequences you didn't plan for :)

>           If it is not possible to implement
> this, or if nobody else thinks it would be useful, that's fine.

Mine was just an assessment. I don't speak (by far!) for the Emacs
community. I was just musing that you might have better chances
of trying things out if you don't aim straight at core.

Cheers
-- t