Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 10:41:14 -0400

>> I don't know of any package which does that. But I think it should not be
>> too hard to implement something that handles this particular use case.
>> For files that use different major modes, it'd be more problematic,
>> of course.
> It's not just that particular use case that I have in mind.  As I wrote
> earlier, the feature I have in mind should not be an additional (minor or
> major) mode,

You're making assumptions about how Emacs works.
I did not say that it should be implemented as a (minor or major) mode.

> My question was: Is this feasible,

As I said, I think it should be easy to implement.
I also gave some pointers to get started.

> or is the one-to-one correspondence between buffers and files too
> deeply rooted in Emacs' codebase that it is not feasible?

It's not deeply rooted, no.  What is more difficult is to handle various
kinds of data (i.e. multiple major modes) in a single buffer.

> If it is feasible, could this feature be considered for implementation
> in a future Emacs version?

The underlying functionality needed for that has existed in Emacs "for
ever", so no need for a future Emacs.  Someone just needs to implement
it and make it available as a package.

        Stefan