Re: wrong type error in local variables

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: wrong type error in local variables
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 17:06:23 +0200

On Thu, Jul 02 2020, Douglas Lewan wrote:
I have a TeX file with the following local variables:

     Local Variables:
eval: (ab-new-buffer (prog1 (find-file "chapter16.tex") (message "After find file.")))
     End:

The (find-file) succeeds. (There's a buffer with that file and I see the message.) However, overall I get this error:

File local-variables error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)

I assume the call to (ab-new-buffer) gets the error, but as far as I can tell that call never happens. (ab-new-buffer) has the following definition:

     (defun ab-new-buffer (buffer-or-name)
       (error "Now in (ab-new-buffer)."))

I never see that error.
What am I missing?

FYI The data above are obviously reduced to a minimal case. With the correct definition of (ab-new-buffer) a full battery of tests passes.

Seems to work fine for me. Are you sure you have nothing else in your local variables block? And what about the local variables block of the file you're finding in your local variables block (i.e., "chapter16.tex")?

Try setting `debug-on-error` (do `M-x toggle-debug-on-error`) and then open the file. You should then get a backtrace that may provide more information. If you don't know what to make of it, post it here.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments