Re: Failure of my Gnus

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Failure of my Gnus
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 05:34:28 +0200

Joseph Fineman via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> In May I described this problem, first on
> gnu.emacs.help and then (following advice there) on
> this mailing list.  I have seen no response.  Since
> then I have been unable to use Gnus.

This day and age, and even more so since you are
already a Gnus user, this day and age it is strongly
recommended to use gmane.emacs.help from
news.gmane.io instead of Usenet.

Unless you have your own reasons, of course.

> Gnus still accesses newsgroups, but with very long
> delays both in bringing up a newsgroup and in
> bringing up entries.  Nevertheless, I posted
> a query on gnu.emacs.help, and received one reply,
> suggesting this mailing list.

Not so long ago, but quite some time I guess, there
was a gateway program somewhere operated by someone
that almost always made certain traffic was synced
between the mailing list (help-gnu-emacs) and the
Usenet gnu.emacs.help. Then that stopped working for
some reason and I didn't hear any news from the issue
since that.

But, if it is the Usenet organization and interface
you seek, while still having access to the mailing
lists were the most and the best traffic is, then
Gnus + Gmane is your one-two one-two.

E.g., I have the following listbots/Gmane groups:

6    gmane.comp.audio.audacity.general            21782
6    gmane.comp.shells.zsh.devel           419    48148
6    gmane.comp.shells.zsh.user            114    20136
6    gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user          757    79723
6    gmane.discuss                         148    17862
6    gmane.emacs.bugs                     1395   182826
6    gmane.emacs.devel                    3937   251936
3    gmane.emacs.gnus.general                     85510
3    gmane.emacs.gnus.user                        19301
3    gmane.emacs.help                        1   123523
6    gmane.emacs.w3m                        24    10410
6    gmane.linux.debian.user              1532   568029
6    gmane.test                             15     8555

And these Usenet groups, thru nntp.aioe.org - which
is maybe what you use as well?

6    alt.test                            17791    57331  nntp.aioe.org
6    alt.tv.survivor                        18     1285  nntp.aioe.org
6    alt.usage.english                   34088    34088  nntp.aioe.org
6    rec.sport.boxing                        1       31  nntp.aioe.org

I also have mail with nnml.

All the same interface, and a good one at that.
That's the killer.

Here's a screenshot:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/gnus/gnus-gmane.png

--