Re: use-package, package.el, and system packages cooperation

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: use-package, package.el, and system packages cooperation
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 01:50:56 +0300

Thomas Schneider <qsx@chaotikum.eu> wrote:
> I want:
> - to install packages via the system package manager as much as possible

If you drop that wish, things will became much easier.

>   This is especially important for packages such as pdf-tools, which require
> development headers of several libraries, but are readily installed via
> system packages

pdf-tools are not released often, so the chances to get hit by version mismatch
with pdf-tools-server is quite low.

> - to continue using use-package, or something else that helps me structure my
> init.el

Hm...  The last time I looked at use-package I found out, that this is a tool
that prevents me from structuring my .emacs.d.  Never mind though, this is
orthogonal to your question.

> - not to download half of MELPA the first time I start Emacs on a new host

Then check the packages in your VCS along with your own code.

>   Yes, this contradicts the (setq use-package-always-ensure t) in my init.el,
> because otherwise … stuff broke.  I don’t remember the details why.

Because packages are absent and your .emacs.d hard require them? ;-)