Re: Another Emacs incompatibilty

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Another Emacs incompatibilty
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:54:37 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 17:14:54 +0200, tg@gmplib.org (Torbjörn Granlund)
>>>>> said:

    Torbjörn> [Unfortunately, since I am not subscribed to this mailing list,
this
    Torbjörn> follow-up mail will not have the right thread backlinks.]

    Torbjörn> To define this as a matter of balance between development
progress and
    Torbjörn> compatibility is a false dichotomy.

    Torbjörn> No, emacs development is not "too fast" for me, as somebody
suggested.
    Torbjörn> Any rate of fundamentally incompatible changes is too fast.

    Torbjörn> For example, changing the way something as fundamental as regions
work
    Torbjörn> in a very mature editor is just a bad idea.  A really really bad
idea.
    Torbjörn> By all means, define some other type of region and let that have
other
    Torbjörn> semantics, or, let users opt in to incompatible regions by having
them
    Torbjörn> set a variable in their .emacs.

    Torbjörn> And please do explain why inserting gremlins in my buffers upon
window
    Torbjörn> focus changes is progress.

Thatʼs not progress, thatʼs a bug. Did you report it?

Robert