Fwd: Keeping up; was Another Emacs incompatibility

From: Francis Belliveau
Subject: Fwd: Keeping up; was Another Emacs incompatibility
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 16:18:58 -0400

I accidentally sent this to Eli when I meant to send it to the list.
Sorry for the double-tap Eli.

Here I am rolling back the conversation a bit with a response to two good posts
at the bottom.

Stefan is correct, every change will cause somebody to be unhappy.

My biggest problem is with the rate that I move from one version to the next.
I remember emacs 19 causing all kinds of problem with my customizations.  I
still have an e19hacks.el file in use.
I usually upgrade only every 3 or 4 major revisions at as time.  It is
difficult to keep up with what needs to be done to fix all the problems.  I am
still having a lot of problems with 26.1, but I am sure that some of the
annoyances could be OS related.  This new replace-region is a problem, but I
have adapted by making sure that I move the cursor after placing the mark.
Highlighted region is another. I just use ^g to work around it

Eli says that things are always announced in NEWS.  I never heard of that so
now I need to read everything since 23.x to figure out what to turn off and how
to repair all the automated indenting back to my liking.

I have not yet asked any questions, after months of use, because I have yet to
find the time to dig into the documentation regarding how all this is supposed
to work.  I never did fix Java the way I wanted it in 23.x and now C and C++
are working differently.
Is this frustrating? YES.
Whose fault is it? Mostly my own for not keeping up.

Now let me ask a question that I have trouble with for a long time.  My
customizations turn off the menus and tool-bars because they take up valuable
screen-space and I hate leaving the keyboard to use them.
However, I often end up on a machine where my custom stuff does not exist and
accidentally change the focus within emacs to a menu while moving focus between
windows.
How do I get emacs to focus back on the buffer so that I can go back to
typing?I generally fight my way out of the problem, but I have yet to find a
magic combination that I can remember to use next time

Fran