Re: finding the hork point in ~/.emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: finding the hork point in ~/.emacs
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 04:18:27 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> [...] it's definitely known as binary search,
> because it's a more specific technique than just
> commenting out random stuff and hoping.

The Wikipedia article [1] seem to
insist on a "sorted array". I didn't read the rest
of it, tho, maybe they mention other areas and/or
informal use of the word.

It is a divide-and-conquer algorithm, right? [2]

> No matter how big the file, it's relatively few
> steps to find the problem.

"Binary search runs in logarithmic time in the worst
case", or O(log n) where n here would be the number
of lines, I guess.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_search_algorithm

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide-and-conquer_algorithm

--