Re: finding the hork point in ~/.emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: finding the hork point in ~/.emacs
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 07:06:52 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:

>> ? `comment-dwim':
>>
>>   If the region is active and ‘transient-mark-mode’
>>   is on, call ‘comment-region’ (unless it only
>>   consists of comments, in which case it calls
>>   ‘uncomment-region’).
>
> Right: "unless it..."
>
> I want it to comment when I tell it to comment,
> including when it may already be commented - nested
> comment blocks. And I want it to uncomment when
> I tell it to uncomment. This particular DWIM
> doesn't do-what-I-want. (It may do-what-you-want.)

It already uses the functions you recommend.

What else do you think a DWIM comment function should
base its behavior on, if not if the region is or
isn't already comments?

> What the code says.  Regardless of the columns
> of point and mark, their lines and the lines
> between them are commented, from bol.

Ah, I recognize this from somewhere else, namely

(defun sort-whole-lines (start end)
  (interactive "r")
  (save-excursion
    (let ((s (progn (goto-char start) (line-beginning-position)))
          (e (progn (goto-char end)   (line-end-position))) )
      (sort-lines nil s e) ))) ; [1]

With comments for some reason, I never felt the need
to do it. But it should make sense, because when do
you ever want to [un]comment say lines, a, b, and c,
and then HALF of line d?

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/sort-my.el

--
underground experts united