Re: set-default-font

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: set-default-font
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 16:38:59 -0700

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     David> Followup: from the code in xfns.c, it appears that x-select-font
> is only
>     David> defined if you are using GTK and FreeType. With Lucid, you get the
>     David> internal fallback.
>
>     David> Maybe I'll try rebuilding with GTK.
>
> If youʼre feeling doubly adventurous, install the cairo-dev packages
> as well, and configure --with-cairo (on some more recent Linux
> distributions, installing gtk-dev gets you cairo-dev automatically).

I found that the configure script for Gnu Emacs v26.3 is looking for the
package "gtk+-[23].0" and this Linux (Chromebook version of Debian)
doesn't have that package, so I can't 'apt install' it.  It also doesn't
seem to have gtk-dev.  I see that I got cairo-5c installed (along with
dependencies), but I don't see libcairo-dev (but I do see libcairo2-dev
which is installed.  Even so, configure is not finding what it needs
cairo and doesn't build with cairo.
--
David Masterson