Re: make a drawing with Emacs

From: tomas
Subject: Re: make a drawing with Emacs
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 11:04:53 +0200

On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 10:38:21AM +0200, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> tomas wrote:
>
> > I'd prefer writing Emacs lisp which writes SVG
> > (actually I've dabbled in that: much more fun!)
>
> Please share <3
>
> > Start about here:
> >
> > (require 'svg)
> > (insert-image
> >  (svg-image
> >   (let ((svg (svg-create 100 100)))
> >     (svg-circle svg 50 50 20 :stroke-width 6 :stroke 'blue :fill 'yellow)
> >     svg)))
>
> Yeah but ... what is the advantage with that compared
> to editing a text file, using Emacs? Syntax?
> User-defined functions? It's Lisp?

Mainly the last.

Once you've spent a week telling your stupid SVG "this triangle
goes to (23.2, 5.7), and this other goes to (29.7, 6.2)" you want
to be able to be more abstract and say "triangle C goes smack in
the middle of A and B" and "circle X goes somewhere between Y and
Z, but choose a spot which looks nice".

You want programmability.

Look into TiKZ (whether you end up using it or not) for some
inspiration on what you might want a drawing program to do for
you.

Or Metapost: as an heir to Metafont, it probably has that declarative
touch to it.

Cheers
 - t