Re: Mass conversion of specific items

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: Mass conversion of specific items
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 13:34:24 -0500

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Caution: This message was sent from outside the University of Manitoba.
>

> I'm hoping that someone can help with this problem I have.
>
> I have several org-mode files which have some specific formatting in
> individual items, specifically -

> \uuline{foo}
>
> This gives a double-underling of 'foo' when exported to latex and built
> into a pdf file.
>
> I'm now in the situation when the double underlining also needs to be
> italicised, and in org-mode its showing as -

> /\uuline{foo}/
>
> This gives a double-underling and italicised of 'foo' when exported to
> latex and built into a pdf file.
>
> I would like to change about 150+ 'foos' and possibly using
> 'replace-string' to do it. Also, 'foo' is lots of different words which
> includes spaces between some of them. So how can I do it please?
>
> Thanks
>   Sharon.

Sharon,

M-x regexp-builder RET

will give you a window that let's you build a regular expression
(regexp) interactively. When I enter

\\\\uuline{[^}]+}

it finds both strings in your email (I'm using Gnus). Alternatively, you
can use

M-x search-forward-regexp RET

to find the occurences of your regexp.

You don't make precise what you want to change, so I cannot say if it is
worth trying to craft a regexp replacement and use

M-x query-replace-regexp

HTH,
Leo