Re: make a drawing with Emacs

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: make a drawing with Emacs
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 10:03:17 +0200

On Thu 03 Sep 2020 at 09:14, <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

>> > Your Emacs has to be able to display svg images.
>>
>> It is a shame that image code in emacs is completely dependent on unsafe
>> foreign libraries and tightly coupled with graphics toolkits.
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding. All the functions in 'svg
> basically do what you sketch in your mail (i.e. manipulate a dom
> as an abstract data structure with an XML representation: so
> basically generate and serialize XML) and don't rely on librsvg
> et al. (I guess that is what you chastise as "unsafe foreign
> library").

Not true.  For example svg-image does rely on librsvg.  There might be
other functions but I don't know that and there is no easy way to find
out except reading all that source code.

> How does the emacs framebuffer work? Can it display images as
> parts of a regular Emacs buffer?

Based on where the buffer is on the screen it calculates where to draw
the image on the Linux framebuffer.  Then it works like w3m web browser.