Re: make a drawing with Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: make a drawing with Emacs
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 09:38:52 -0400

> 1) It is not clear upfront, when it does not work, as demonstrated with
>    svg-image vs svg-print.
>    This is general problem with foreign dependencies.

I believe svg-image is the only exception and it's an intuitive one at
that since it is used to create an internal Emacs image object whose
only use is to display the image inside an Emacs buffer.

> 2) Elisp does not have keyword arguments.  However, svg.el works around
>    that with rest arg plist.  This brings the worst of both worlds:
>    complexity and useless tools.
>
>    For example, I use eldoc.  Eldoc hint for svg-circle is useless:
>
>       svg-circle: (SVG X Y RADIUS &rest ARGS)
>
>    I have to dig into the source code to find out what ARGS is.  Every
>    time I use svg-circle.
>
> Writing own alternative to svg.el offers a chance to fix those problems.

Or maybe you can improve the package instead of writing a new one.
Code is sometimes called "software" because presumably it's more
malleable than "hardware".

        Stefan