Re: package-autoremove ? Looking like a bug...

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: package-autoremove ? Looking like a bug...
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 22:37:16 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Sounds like you're onto something.  I recently started using use-package
> and the problem began after that.  What you're suggesting is that you
> have to install packages with the package manager and then use
> use-package to load them.
>
> Anyone else seen this?

Yes, the other day `package-autoremove' wanted to remove a ton of
packages for me.  So I took a closer look.

`package-autoremove' uses `package-selected-packages' to know which
packages to remove.  More specifically, it calls
`package--removable-packages', where the doc string explains:

      "Return a list of names of packages no longer needed.
    These are packages which are neither contained in
    `package-selected-packages' nor a dependency of one that is."

In my case, some packages that I have (most likely) installed via
use-package are _not_ in `package-selected-packages'.  This seems like a
bug.  I'm not sure if it's in use-package or package.el, however.

With a bit of luck, John Wiegley is reading this list, and could
comment on this.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas