suggestion for user-emacs-directory

From: Dieter Faulbaum
Subject: suggestion for user-emacs-directory
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 12:51:23 +0200

Dear all,

I use (at least) 3 versions of emacs on one computer, one from the
Debian-package, the newer one from here
https://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-27.1.tar.xz and the snapshot from
git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git/.
They tend to have different customizable variables (and others).

So I have these variables set in my (early-)init.el:

(setq emacs-name "emacs"
emacs-major-minor-version (format "%d.%d" emacs-major-version
                                        emacs-minor-version)
     user-emacs-directory (concat "~/.etc/" emacs-name "/"
     emacs-major-minor-version))

Maybe not the most elegant way but this works for me to distinguish
these versions.

Would it be good, if the user-emacs-directory not only becomes
"per-user Emacs-specific"
but also
"per-user per-emacs-version Emacs-specific"
in a similar way? (as an example: gimp does it likewise.-)

Thanks for thinking about this.

Dieter