Re: memory leaks

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: memory leaks
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 08:47:29 +0530

* Eli Zaretskii <83imcidcfp.fsf@gnu.org> :
Wrote on Sat, 12 Sep 2020 22:26:02 +0300:
> Then I'd appreciate if everyone who is experiencing these problems
> will please describe them in a full-fledged bug report, including how
> long it takes to get to such large RSS values from the start.
>
> Please don't leave such problems unreported.  They will not fix
> themselves.

The problem is that there is nothing to report except that the RSS is
growing unreasonably.  In normal operation with all my packages loaded
emacs wouldn't go beyond around 500M RSS even when running for a week.

I usually only notice the leak when it has gone beyond 2G - when linux
refuses to suspend because I have limited swap.  In most cases emacs
would be running for a few days.  There are over 600 `features' in these
emacs but the major memory hog packages I was using are magit, sly,
gnus, and ivy - but I don't think these can be the culprits.

ATM I have a gtk emacs instance that is running at ~900M RSS, which may
be an early stage.  If you have any suggestions on how to go about
debugging GC - it would help in submitting a useful bug repoprt. But as
of now I have nothing more than "it leaks"