Re: How to reply to message in mailing list?

From: ej32u
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 01:49:00 +0000

On 9/12/20 4:27 AM, Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The reply to button indeed adds only the recipient of the message.  You
> want to CC the message to ‘emacs-devel@gnu.org’ too.
>
> These mailing lists are generally handled using email clients (‘MUAs’)
> that know how to handle this sort of stuff automatically, so you might
> want to try a program like mutt, or Gnus, mu4e, notmuch, or Rmail in
> Emacs.
>
> It’s easier to subscribe to a mailing list, redirect mail from it to
> some folder, and read and reply from there.

Thank you!

I think I am figuring it out so far, using Thunderbird. You are correct that is
much easier when replying to e-mails received  from the mailing list.

One question I do have (though maybe you won't be able to answer about
Thunderbird), is whether it is sufficient to reply directly to the mailing
list,
as Thunderbird wants to do when clicking its "Reply List" button?
I have  seen that my responses show up correctly in the mailing list, but is
that enough for to whom I'm replying to see the message correctly?

Thunderbird does have the option for sending messages directly to the recipient
and CC'ing the mailing list (by clicking "Reply All"), but it doesn't seem to
be
the default action, and I'm not sure what the better behavior is in this case.
Is there a reason to prefer one behavior to the other?

Thank you.