Re: Mouse click vs drag

From: Petteri Hintsanen
Subject: Re: Mouse click vs drag
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 20:50:12 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What did you try?  For a mouse-movement NOT to be interpreted as a
> mouse-drag, the movement must be smaller than double-click-fuzz AND
> the mouse pointer should stay on the same buffer position.

I did:

  $ emacs -Q

  C-h v double-click-fuzz RET

  {click on "customize"}

  {change "Double Click Fuzz" to 30}

  {click on "Apply", verify that State changes to "SET for current
   session only."}

  {click on "Revert...", slightly moving the mouse [less than 30 px]
   between button press and release}

Expected result: "Reset settings" popup appears.

Actual result: Nothing happens.

But you’re right, increasing double-click-fuzz has the desired effect in
other "clickable" places like Speedbar and Gnus Summary buffer.  This is
great and just what I was looking for.  Maybe widgets do not respect
double-click-fuzz for some reason?

I see this behaviour is explained in double-click-fuzz docstring ("This
variable is also the threshold for motion of the mouse to count as a
drag").  Too bad I couldn’t find that myself.

Thanks for your time.
Petteri