Re: url-retrieve fails on most HTTPS sites

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: url-retrieve fails on most HTTPS sites
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 05:24:35 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> From wrting too much Common Lisp, I'm used to
>>> writing #'(lambda ...), but I'm not qualified to
>>> judge elisp.
>>
>> Comrade S Monnier always said don't quote lambdas.
>> and... I believed him.
>
> ' and #' are two different beasts. If you want to
> wrap your lambdas inside #' be my guest.

As is evident from the level 5 cite above, the lambda
was _quoted_, I don't know how sharp quote entered
the discussion. Oh, I do know that, I just didn't
notice...

OK, with a quote, you make it a list, not a function.

And with a #', you make it a function.

But... isn't it already a function? As in "anonymous
function"?

In the Elisp manual [1] it says:

  The read syntax #' is a short-hand for using
  `function'. The following forms are all equivalent:

            (lambda (x) (* x x))
  (function (lambda (x) (* x x)))
          #'(lambda (x) (* x x))

So why use it?

[1] (info "(elisp) Anonymous Functions")

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Anonymous-Functions.html

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573