HTTPS fails (was: url-retrieve fails on most HTTPS sites)

From: Nicolas Graner
Subject: HTTPS fails (was: url-retrieve fails on most HTTPS sites)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:53:37 +0200

Hi all,

thanks to those who tried to answer my initial question.
However, nobody has addressed the core of the question, which was
neither about the specifics of url-retrieve nor about quoting lambdas :)
Rather, it was about https servers breaking connections.

So, let me try to rephrase it in simpler terms using EWW, the Emacs Web Wrowser.

  (eww "https://theconversation.com/global";)
displays a web page rendered as text, as expected.

  (eww "https://wikipedia.org/";)
displays briefly "Loading https://wikipedia.org/";, then the buffer is
emptied, indicating that the server has closed the connection.

Is it the same for you?
Is it the same with different emacs versions? I am running 26.1 on Debian.

If it's just me, I'll try to find what's wrong with my installation.
If it's more general, I'll file a bug report.

Thanks,
Nicolas