Re: Any way to remove ^L or ^M from some buffer outputs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Any way to remove ^L or ^M from some buffer outputs?
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 14:54:41 +0200

Joost Kremers wrote:

> There is a package that should take care of ^L at least:

What is the deal with them chars, what are they
called, and why do they appear to begin with,
and where?

I know them only from IRC where you can do, with ERC
first

  (setq erc-interpret-mirc-color t)

then

  $ 08,04 * red army *  ( <-- here I use real chars, i.e
                                  M-x insert-char RET 3 RET )

which looks like this

  $ ^C08,04 * red army * ^C

only the ^C are in cyan (wierd, `what-face' [1] don't
report any face for them?)

BTW, actually, you don't need the closing char if
there is just one thing to color and that's to the
EOL. but consider:

  $ 08,03it02,00al08,04ia

which looks like

  $ ^C08,03it^C^C02,00al^C^C08,04ia^C

See this dump for how that looks, the red army one :) [2]

How to use the colors: [3]

Bonus photo: another red machine [4]

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/my-faces.el

[2] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/figures/emacs/red-army.png