Re: Another question about Calc

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Another question about Calc
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 09:19:20 -0400

> I know Latex a bit, but never heard that it calculates...like that.

AFAIK LaTeX doesn't calculate at all.  I don't see any evidence that it
treats `A + B / C` as having any kind of internal structure.

AFAICT it adjusts the spacing between the five elements only based on
"lexical" rather than "syntactical" information.

In the places where LaTeX does calculate (e.g. in lengths) it seems not
to support division and only support "multiplication by concatenation"
which makes multiplication bind more tightly than addition?

> Is this behavior expected?  Does it make sense in some way?

I think the fact that the syntax is inspired by LaTeX doesn't give
us much guidance on how precedence should be handled.

So from where I stand, this looks like a bug.

        Stefan