Re: Incorrect rendering of accented characters in HTML e-mail (Gnus)

From: Garjola Dindi
Subject: Re: Incorrect rendering of accented characters in HTML e-mail (Gnus)
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 22:10:41 +0200

On Sat 10-Oct-2020 at 18:12:56 +02, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net>
>> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 17:53:07 +0200
>>
>> > Btw, the above is not UTF-8 encoding, it's Latin-1 encoding.
>> >
>> > Does the problem go away if you start Emacs as "emacs -Q"?
>>
>> I have tried, but with "emacs -Q", Gnus does not find the nnmaildir
>> groups. So I don't know how to proceed.
>
> Neither do I, sorry.  Someone who knows Gnus better will have to chime
> in.  It sounds like you have Emacs or Gnus misconfigured wrt encoding,
> but I cannot say anything more intelligent.

Thanks anyway for your time. Your questions have pushed me to
investigate further.

I have started emacs with a init.el just pointing to the .gnus whose
only contents are

,----
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
|        '(nnmaildir "MyMail"
|                    (directory "/home/garjola/MyMail")
|                    (directory-files nnheader-directory-files-safe)
|                    (get-new-mail nil)))
`----

in this way, there is nothing else from my config which can interfere.
But the same encoding issues occur.

I have accessed the imap server directly with Gnus' imap select method
and the messages are correctly encoded. This makes me think that the
problem comes from the nnmaildir select method or from the way I
download the messages from the server and convert to nnmaildir.

I use offlineimap for e-mail and feed2imap for RSS subscriptions. Since
these are 2 different programs, I guess that the most likely issue is
the nnmaildir configuration.

I am stuck again, but I feel I made some progress.

Thank you.