Re: Unicode progress tooltip?

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 06:38:43 -0500

It dawned on me yesterday that I might well be an idiot (not for the first
time). But now I'm even more confused about the source of the tooltip.
Picking a key sequence, say COMPOSE L =, allows me to insert ₤ into
whatever I'm editing, whether it's Emacs, this Gmail composition window, or
a LibreOffice document. It seems X.org must be the source of the magic,
"composing" the relevant character out of a sequence of two or more
keypresses which begin with COMPOSE. However... I only see the tooltip when
composing a multi-keypress character in Emacs. If X.org is ultimately the
source of the Unicode code point, how would Emacs even see the keystrokes
which are consumed by X.org so it could generate a tooltip? If Emacs isn't
doing this, X.org is the most likely candidate. That leaves me to wonder
why I never see it in those other applications. Maybe there's the ability
within Xlib to suppress or enable it?

Skip