Re: Command `vc-annotate' runs `help-mode-hook'?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Command `vc-annotate' runs `help-mode-hook'?
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 08:40:27 +0200

Okam <okamsn@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to add a function to `help-mode-hook' to automatically
> rename the "*Help*" buffer.

May I ask why you want to rename it?  I guess it could cause other
problems.

> Why does `vc-annotate' run `help-mode-hook'

That probably comes from `vc-annotate' calling
`with-output-to-temp-buffer'.  I don't recall why it had been decided
that this macro performs help-mode setup, but it does.

> and is there a good way of detecting this and similar cases?

You could look at the buffer name?  The answer depends on the set of
cases you want to handle.

Regards,

Michael.