Re: Set-window-vscroll sometimes doesn't work

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Set-window-vscroll sometimes doesn't work
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 19:24:13 +0300

> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 00:59:33 -0400
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> >> Cool. I’m thinking about wrapping move_it_by_lines in
> >> window_scroll_pixel_based with a version that regards images (and tall
> >> lines) as several lines. Do you see some potential problems with that?
> >
> > What is the problem with the existing code that you are trying to
> > solve?  Whatever it is, it is highly likely that the solution already
> > exists, and no new code is needed.
>
> The problem I have is that when I scroll over images they jumps in and out of
> the window: (bad-scrolling.mp4)

AFAICT, you are trying to scroll an image that is smaller than the
window?  That's not supported by the current code, you will need to
modify the criteria for entering the vscroll mode there.

But in any case, I don't see how move_it_by_lines can have anything to
do with this: whatever you do, an image must always remain a single
"display element", and the only way we currently have to scroll
partial images is via vscroll.  Which works, so I don't understand why
you need any changes in window_scroll_pixel_based.