Re: [beginner] better-defaults not found

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [beginner] better-defaults not found
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 16:02:13 -0700

<c.buhtz@posteo.jp> writes:

> I tried to edit my ~/.emacs file (on Debian 10 stable) based on that
> emacs-for-python-tutorial
> https://realpython.com/emacs-the-best-python-editor/#initialization-file
>
> When re-starting emacs I got the error that
>
> /better-defaults-20170614.404.el, Not found
>
> First of all I am confused about the version number because melpa.org
> shows me "20200717.2012" for that package. I can understand that the
> current package is not found. But I do not understand where the old
> version number emacs using for this package comes from.

This does indeed look strange.  What version of Emacs is this?  Do you
perhaps have some old package lying around in "~/.emacs.d/elpa"?  Or in
any of the directories in the `package-directory-list' variable?

You could try invoking "emacs --debug-init" to see if the backtrace
tells you something interesting.