Re: Prompt issue with tramp shell

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Prompt issue with tramp shell
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 01:12:53 +0200

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 03:37:35PM +0100, Colin Baxter wrote:
Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

   > Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:
   >> Hi:
   >>
   >> I am trying to use a shell with tramp
   >>
   >> C-x C-f ssh:/....  M-x shell
   >>
   >> then I select bash.
   >>
   >> and I have a problem that the prompt is shown twice like this:
   >>
   >> []0; user@host:/home/user ^G[user@host /home/user]$
   >>
   >> I am not sure if I need an extra config on emacs or in bash?

   > I can't reproduce the issue.  Check if you have a ~/.emacs_BASH or
   > ~/.emacs.d/init_BASH.sh that may be configuring the prompt
   > incorrectly.  You could also try to run /bin/sh instead; that will
   > ignore any ~/.bashrc from the remote system.

Try putting only the following three lines in your ~/.emacs_bash

# -*- mode: sh; -*-
# echo ""
printf '\r\n%.0s' {1..50} ## Clears screen and puts single prompt at bottom

Best wishes,

Hi I tried this ~/.emacs_bash thing and I have the same issue.

The second prompt changed a bit but it is still duplicated:

]0; ergus@rppi:/home/ergus [ergus@rppi ~]$

I also tried eshell but it is extremely slow almost unusable...

Any other idea?

Best,
Ergus