Re: Reading Atom feeds with Gnus

From: Harald Jörg
Subject: Re: Reading Atom feeds with Gnus
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 16:31:47 +0200

Hello Sharon,

you write:

> haj@posteo.de (Harald Jörg) writes:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm moving (back) to Gnus as my mail+news+feed client, after having
>> tried another program for some time without being really happy with it.
>> During that time, some of the feeds I like to read moved from RSS to
>> Atom-only - and I haven't figured out how to read those with Gnus.
>> [...]
>> So... is there a recommended way to read Atom feeds with Gnus?
>
> Hi Haj.
>
> I do it everyday and it seems to be working out okay. I'll share with
> you what I use.
>
> And this comes from the gnu section of my config.
>
>   (require 'mm-url)
>   (defadvice mm-url-insert (after DE-convert-atom-to-rss () )
>     "Converts atom to RSS by calling xsltproc."
>     (when (re-search-forward "xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/.*/Atom\"";
>                              nil t)
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (message "Converting Atom to RSS... ")
>       (call-process-region (point-min) (point-max)
>                            "xsltproc"
>                            t t nil
>                            (expand-file-name
> "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/atom2rss.xsl") "-")
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (message "Converting Atom to RSS... done")))

Thanks!

I recall that I've read something about an on-the-fly conversion, but I
lost the reference.  Chances are that something like this is what it was
about.

> I hope these help you. I've had the atom2rss file for some time (its
> dated to 2018-06-25) and I can't remember where I got it from, so if
> anyone knows I'd love to know.

That would probably be https://atom.geekhood.net/ (found in the XSL file).

I guess I could use this.  I usually have xsltproc lying around on the
systems where I read news.  I can probably live without the optional PHP
stuff (which I don't have).  It has its hacky parts (e.g. assuming that
Atom always gets assigned the "empty" namespace), but should work quite
well in practice.

Hm.  I wonder... since Emacs is (per default) built with libxml2, maybe
this can be leveraged to do this directly in Emacs... there's
libxml-parse-xml-region... maybe I should look at that.

Again, thanks for the hints!
--
Cheers,
haj