RE: Built-In Keybindingr associated with functions keys F2, F3, etc

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Built-In Keybindingr associated with functions keys F2, F3, etc
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 09:49:58 -0700 (PDT)

> > > You can usually get that information for any prefix key by typing
> > > `<prefix> C-h'.  So for example `<f2> C-h' shows:...
> >
> > (But <f1>, <f3>, <f4>, <f10>, <f11> are not,
> > by default, prefix keys.)
>
> Why does that matter, for the issue at hand?  This is a kind of rigor
> that should have no place in this discussion.  Tassilo is factually
> correct: the way he pointed out _is_ the way of asking Emacs about key
> sequences that start with a given key.

(FWIW, your hostility is what "has no place in
the discussion."  Lighten up a little, please.)

I simply pointed out that what the OP asked about
isn't completely answered by the (otherwise fine)
answer that you can use C-h after a prefix key.

If Tassilo hadn't mentioned using C-h after a
prefix key, then I would have.  That's a general,
if partial, answer to the OP's question, and a
very good one.

My post tried to respond directly to the question
about F2, F3, etc.:

  There are 48 bindings starting with <f1>.
  Is there a list somewhere on Built-In Emacs
  Keybindings associated with the other functions
  keys (F2, F3, etc)?

> > <f1> is bound to `help-command', which is a
> > prefix command, and `C-h f help-command' tells
> > you its definition is a keymap.  But `<f1> C-h'
> > doesn't tell you about keys with prefix <f1>.
>
> It does here.

I should have said that it doesn't tell you about
ALL of the keys with prefix <f1>.  And it doesn't
tell you the same thing that C-h following a
prefix key tells you: the _commands_ that are
bound to the keys.

(That's not its purpose.  It tells you what kinds
of things you can do with C-h, which is fine.)

For example, `<f1> C-h' doesn't tell you about
these six keys following <f1>: C-h, C-\, ?, <f1>,
q, and `4 i'.

To be clear, I'm not saying it should or needs to.
But if someone is asking for a _list of all_ the
keys you can use after <f1>, `<f1> C-h' doesn't do
that.

[4 of the 6 unlisted keys are bound to commands
that are also bound to other keys that `<f1> C-h'
_does_ tell you about.  So it tells you how to do
those things.  But it doesn't tell you all of the
keys that let you do them.  And it doesn't tell
you which commands are involved and provide links
to their `C-h f' help.  And it misses the keys
for `help-quit' and `info-other-window'.]

Another difference: The help you see from `<f1>
C-h' is hard-coded.  If someone or some library
adds key bindings to keymap `help-map' then you
won't see them listed by `<f1> C-h'.  (If the
usual behavior of C-h following a prefix key
were followed, then you would see them listed.)
___

To add a bit to my answer: if you use library
help-fns+.el then you can use `C-h M-k help-map'
to see all of that keymap's key bindings (in the
same format used by `C-h b', or C-h following a
prefix key).

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/help-fns%2b.el