Re: elpy: autocompletition not working

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: elpy: autocompletition not working
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 16:03:55 +0300

* c.buhtz@posteo.jp <c.buhtz@posteo.jp> [2020-10-25 15:00]:
> Hi,
>
> I setup my elpy on Debian 10 via this blog-post.
> https://realpython.com/emacs-the-best-python-editor/#emacs-for-python-development-with-elpy

Sorry that IRC did not work, there is just few persons if more than
one, on #elpy channel

As you got the script from realpython.com website I also recommend
contacting them, as it is in their best interest that such script
works.

> I also checked the (official?) docs here:
> https://elpy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ide.html#completion
>
> btw: What does "M-TAB (elpy-company-backend)" means?

We just discussed of the notation, the notation M-TAB means Meta key
and TAB, and Meta is on PC keyboards normally ALT. Internally Meta key
is translated to ESC, so you can also use ESC-TAB. On Apple keyboards
it is Option-TAB

> In my understand "M-" on a usual IBM-PC-Keyboard is the ALT-key on the
> right beside the Windows-key.

Right.

> But ALT + TAB does window switching (on Windows and Linux-XFCE).

Eh, that is other problem, your Window Manager verwrites the M-TAB to
Window Manager function of switching windows, so that is why it does
not work:

- you could remap Window Manager, or change it, I do not recommend

- map the key to use some Emacs function, that is best

I do not touch Python, not Pythonista. But there is function
M-x hippie-expand and there is also M-x python-mode built in.

hippie-expand could help. You could evaluate following:

(define-key python-mode-map (kbd "s-<tab>") 'hippie-expand)

Then you could use the Superkey between Ctrl and Alt with TAB to
expand on Python expression. You can repeat it to find various
expansions. Tell me if it is usable.

More resources for you:
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PythonProgrammingInEmacs

--