Re: Modifier Keys and the Archaic Meta Key

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Modifier Keys and the Archaic Meta Key
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 14:46:14 +0100

Rather than referring to the five principal Modifier Key,
immediately by Key Mnemonics, it is more useful to have
a name for them categorised by priority.

The Five Principal Modifier Keys can be called Control,
Alternate, Hyper, Shift, Super, then associate any mnemonic
one wants (Ctrl, Ctl) (Meta, Alt, Esc).

It is recognised that the Control Modifier Key and the
Meta Modifier Key are exclusively and most widely used
Modifier Keys for Emacs Built-In Keybindings.  Consequently
I group them together, one call it Control, whilst the other
as Alternate Control.  It makes the use of key much more precise.

Consequently the Alternate Control Modifier Key would simply
be associated with Alt, but to the key as Priority 2, which
can be Alt, Esc, etc.

I am aware some love historical talk, but they should be of
minor consideration, because the focus should be on understanding
how to use Gnu in the shortest time, rather than having to read
through a lot of distracting considerations.  I have no problem
with the M- nomenclature myself.

As it is, I find that learning Emacs resembled too much a school
environment dictated by interesting but rudimentary reading
following a textbook approach; rather than with professional
users whose focus is getting the job done, and thusly get impatient
with reading material not immediately useful in figuring out how
to do a job.

I agree of the utility of possibly more Modifier Keys.  However, sticking
with officially Five Major Modifier Key for now is adequate.  I customarily
use Mechanical Keyboards with Colemak Key Variation, and have to rebind certain
Key Sequences that are built-in into Emacs.  I also remap the order of keys
from (C, s, M) to (s, M, C).  In this way priority increases from right to
left.  The C Key is mapped to the key immediately to the left of the space bar
as in the original setup of the Lisp Keyboards.  However I do not simply switch
the Meta and Control Key as many have done, but organise the Keymaps by priority
going outward.

Regarding your mention for ability to use additional modifier keys, it could be
worthwhile to think on the possibility to create your own modifier keys like
what
can be achieved with keybindings.

> - More important is how Emacs have got its image by the M-x, as M-x
>   now became new meaning in itself, it became part of the
>   culture. Examples: https://emacslife.wordpress.com/about/ where
>   website has title M-x emacs-life RET and

My position would focus towards the Control Key as the
Principal Control Key, whilst M becomes the Alternate
Control Key.

Regards
Christopher