Re: Set-window-vscroll sometimes doesn't work

From: Jens C . Jensen
Subject: Re: Set-window-vscroll sometimes doesn't work
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 09:38:26 +0100

On Sat, Oct 24 2020, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> I really need to set them in the same time because when I scroll down, and
>> stopped at a tall image (or tall line), I don’t want to scroll to the top of
>> that image immediately. Instead, I want to scroll just enough to show the
>> bottom of it. This requires setting window-start to that image and set
>> vscroll = image height - line height.
>
> This makes no sense to me, because you want to deliberately deny the
> user from showing the entire screen line or its important parts.  The
> bottom of a large image will generally not show anything important,
> and most of the screen line with the surrounding text could remain
> undisplayed.  Why is that a good idea? just because some other editor
> behaves like that?

Just to have another data-point, I also prefer the behaviour that Yuan is
describing, it has
been a pet-peeve for me that images seems to pop into (and out of) existence
when scrolling in a
buffer with inline-images. Smoothly scrolling over images seem to be how many
other things
behave, PDF viewers, websites, etc.