Re: problems with Emacs 28

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: problems with Emacs 28
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2020 14:51:11 +0100

Hey, here is one function we/I forgot to mention - local functions!

Used in Emacs Lisp with `cl-labels'.

Advantages:

- keep everything together

- doesn't fill up the global space

- no call to another function so stack won't bubble up and down, this
  could perhaps be of practical concern if the function is called
  many times repeatedly in, say, a loop

Disadvantages:

- difficult to debug as not separated from main function

- make functions too long (almost as long as the functions in Gnus
  *runs away*)

A problem, that doesn't make sense in theory, but does so in
practice: it has to be removed, put into a defun, and the host
function code changed, if it ever turns up it is beneficial to some
other function

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573