Re: bounds-of-thing-at-point for paragraphs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: bounds-of-thing-at-point for paragraphs
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 23:36:12 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2020-11-01 22:01]:
> > > (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'paragraph) works fine.
> >
> > It works fine, but documentation does not describe it:
> >
> >   bounds-of-thing-at-point is an autoloaded compiled Lisp function in
> >   ‘thingatpt.el’.
> >
> >   (bounds-of-thing-at-point THING)
> >
> >   Determine the start and end buffer locations for the THING at point.
> >   THING should be a symbol specifying a type of syntactic entity.
> >   Possibilities include ‘symbol’, ‘list’, ‘sexp’, ‘defun’,
> >   ‘filename’, ‘url’, ‘email’, ‘uuid’, ‘word’, ‘sentence’, ‘whitespace’,
> >   ‘line’, and ‘page’.
> >
> >   See the file ‘thingatpt.el’ for documentation on how to define a
> >   valid THING.
> >
> >   Return a cons cell (START . END) giving the start and end
> >   positions of the thing found.
>
> Just read it more carefully.
>
> 1. "Possibilities include"
>                   ^^^^^^^
>
>    It doesn't say that those are the only possibilities.

Maybe if I say Sesame open the door... :-)

I went into thingatpt.el and I tried searching for "paragraph" and I
cannot find it. This opens plethora of possibilities to jump into
maybe other files and find "paragraph" defined.

> >   Return the THING at point.
> >   THING should be a symbol specifying a type of syntactic entity.
> >   Possibilities include ‘symbol’, ‘list’, ‘sexp’, ‘defun’,
> >   ‘filename’, ‘url’, ‘email’, ‘uuid’, ‘word’, ‘sentence’, ‘whitespace’,
> >   ‘line’, ‘number’, and ‘page’.
>
> See above.  The word "include" doesn't mean the
> same thing as "include only" or "comprise".  The
> list of THINGS mentioned isn't exhaustive.
>
> The English language includes the words "thing"
> and "point" (but it also includes a lot more words).

Alright, sure. But that does not make it friendly to user to
understand that paragraph is included.

Do you have a word "paragraph" in your thingatpt.el?

--
There are 57 messages yet in my incoming mailbox.