RE: RE: bounds-of-thing-at-point for paragraphs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: RE: bounds-of-thing-at-point for paragraphs
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2020 14:06:16 -0800 (PST)

> Looking at thingatpt.el is not helpful.

It's very helpful.  It directly answers your question.

Or perhaps you meant that needing to look at that file
is a burden.  That's different from saying that if you
do look in the file you find no help.

> If you know important things that are useful to know
> about it, place it at the top of the file.

Define "top" of the file.  Elisp files have certain
things, conventionally, at the very top.

One of the things they can have near the top, i.e.,
in the file header, is a Commentary section, which is
documentation.

And lo and behold, what do we find there, in lines
4-7 of the Commentary?

 The function bounds-of-thing-at-point finds the beginning and end
 positions by moving first forward to the end of the "thing", and then
 backwards to the beginning.  By default, it uses the corresponding
 forward-"thing" operator (eg. forward-word, forward-line).

That directly answers your question, no?

What happens when you do `C-h f forward- TAB'?  Do you
see `forward-paragraph' listed?  QED.

> I customarily define a documentation function for the file so that it
> would be available interactively, even if mostly of interest to Elisp
> Designers.

You want interactive access to just the Commentary?
Your wish is granted:

 M-x finder-commentary thingatpt

That's how I got the text to include in my answer to
you, without having to remove comment chars (`;').

(And yes, you can use `TAB' with `finder-commentary'
to see all of the currently available libraries as
candidates.)