Universal Prefix Argument using M-1..9 and C-1..9

From: jai-bholeki
Subject: Universal Prefix Argument using M-1..9 and C-1..9
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 19:32:41 +0000

I am going through the documentation regarding the Universal Prefix Argument.

For instance, one can quickly set a prefix using M-1 to M-9 which call
'digit-argument'.
One can also use C-1 to C-9, which also call 'digit-argument'. That is, C-0,
C-1, etc. act the same as M-0, M-1, etc.

I am writing a software that could use C-1, C-2, and C-3 but I have now started
having reservations on whether it is a good idea. How often do people use
M-1..9 and C-1..9
to set the Universal Prefix Argument?

A related question is why Emacs uses different keybindings (e.g. M-1..9 and
C-1..9)
to do exactly the same thing, with the repercussion that users have less
availability
to set keybindings themselves without affecting other users using their software
to conflict from Emacs Built-In Key Shortcuts.