RE: Keybinding that loops through Major Modes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Keybinding that loops through Major Modes
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 08:17:00 -0800 (PST)

> > > A method that would be a bit cleaner in my eyes would be a command that
> > > lets you edit a specified region in a temp buffer in the correct mode.
> >
> > A narrowed, indirect buffer. (Basically the same idea, with a few things
> > automated.)
>
> AFAIK the problem with indirect buffers is that AFAIK font-lock isn't
> supported (unless you use the same mode and settings as the base
> buffer).

Correct.  Indirect buffers only get you so far.  Font
lock and other things are tied to the buffer.  You can
change them in the indirect buffer AND the base buffer,
but you can't have them different between the two.

And current multiple-major-modes implementations also
only get you so far.

A flexible, robust implementation of multiple major
modes is a (big) feature that's really waiting for
some brilliant, dedicated, probably collaborative work
(IMHO).  That grail would be welcomed by all.
___

Anyway, for using narrowed indirect buffers, I offer
library `narrow-indirect.el'.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NarrowIndirect

Code:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/narrow-indirect.el